Although the weather is still warm and sunny, we’re planning ahead for flu jabs, which will be with us very soon. This year, Wellsbourne Healthcare will be working together with the other practices in our Primary Care Network to help delivery flu vaccinations to more patients than ever.
We hope to invite all eligible patients to be vaccinated at the Wellsbourne Health Centre, to a drive-through clinic in East Brighton Park, and to selected other locations in central Brighton. We know that East Brighton is local to most of you, but to those patients living more centrally, we may be able to provide a closer option for you this year.
This year, we will be able to vaccinate these groups as soon as our vaccinations arrive in mid-September:
- those aged 6 months to under 50 years in clinical risk groups*
- all children who will be 2-3 years old on the 31st August 2022
- pregnant women
- those aged 65 years and over
- those in long-stay residential care homes
- close contacts of immunocompromised individuals
Patients aged 50-64 who are not in a clinical risk group will become eligible for vaccination from the 15th October.
*Clinical risk groups include:
- respiratory conditions, such as asthma (needing steroid inhaler or tablets), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and bronchitis
- heart conditions, such as coronary heart disease or heart failure
- being very overweight – a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above
- chronic kidney disease
- liver disease, such as hepatitis
- neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), or cerebral palsy
- a learning disability
- problems with your spleen, for example, sickle cell disease, or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or taking medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
Please do not contact the practice at this stage. If you are eligible we will invite you as soon as we are able to.
If you’re not sure whether you are in a clinical risk group and haven’t received an invitation by the 17th September call 01273 005444 to find out, or submit an online consultation via our website to get the answer, without ringing.